I believe Aurora has a great sense of community and with your support, I am committed to keeping it that way for many generations to come.
So, how are we going to do this?
To achieve this, we need to protect what makes Aurora such a great place to live and:
- In doing so, we must strike the ideal balance between growth, … development and preservation. We have witnessed rapid urban sprawl in the last 15 years, which has caused an imbalance in our infrastructure…. and while growth is inevitable, it needs to be both smart …and strategic, especially as we transition to a mature town.
- We need to find ways to attract small to large sized businesses, so we can create meaningful jobs while retaining economic dollars in Aurora. Let’s encourage our residents to shop local and attract tourism. With 2 new hotels on the horizon, there certainly is opportunity.
- And let’s not forget about our downtown core and its revitalization, we’re on the right track, but there’s so much more work to do. Our Town’s history is unique and we should showcase our character, culture and be proud of the great community we are.
- The residents of Aurora are active people, myself included, and I want to keep it that way. Many of you here have children in sports, rep or house league program or simply enjoy a brisk walk or run in our Trails….So we need to responsibly invest in recreational facilities and protect our green space for all people of Aurora. With our incredible growth, a diverse and changing population, we need a modern approach to a sport, park & recreation plan for the future…
- Yonge and Wellington….It’s no secret that Yonge and Wellington is a hot mess. There are sightline issues, congestion and poor traffic flow that is only going to get worse. Since Yonge and Wellington is a regional road, we need to evaluate our technologies and alternate routing opportunities by working with both the Region and York Regional Police to ensure safety in our community.
- Finally..Safety…let’s talk about this…I don’t know about you, but I am guilty of leaving my front door unlocked for long periods of time, or leaving my car window down while I run into the store…but that has changed quite a bit. In recent news, there has been purse snatches mid-day at grocery stores and reported plan house break-ins. I have since made efforts to work alongside York Regional Police to learn how we can address these issues and concerns together. I am committed to helping bring safety back to our Town.
The residents of Aurora deserve a fully engaged council with an accountability I am determined to bring to the table. Together, we will find areas of improvement and present actionable solutions.
If elected, I will listen carefully to the people of Aurora and champion YOUR ideas with dedication. In it Together, we can be a part of something bigger.
So I am asking you, to help me protect what makes Aurora such a great place to live for many generations to come and VOTE for RACHEL GILLILAND. Thank you.To learn more visit my campaign website